Saturday 2 August 2014

Schwarze Tochter!


Welcome - Willkommen - to the German translation of The Housemaid's Daughter, boasting a dramatic cover of a young woman in profile, against a backdrop inlaid with a music score. This is certainly a very different image from most of the other translations, so it will be interesting to see how it is received by readers.

This particular translation has sneaked up on me - I wasn't expecting it out just yet. Translated by Irene Eisenhut, and published by Droemer, the book is now available in German bookshops and from the usual online vendors as a physical copy or as an e-book for Kindle, iPad etc.

I haven't yet received my copy so I can't do my usual flip through and check on the glossary. Regular readers of this blog will know that one of the more frivolous criteria by which I judge the foreign language translations is the quality and elaboration of the glossary! In most cases, I can't immediately understand what I am looking at, but I eventually manage to fathom out what is being written. The ability to render into another language wonderful words words like knobkierie (stick with a knobbed head) or shebeen (unlicensed tavern) or tokoloshe (evil spirit) usually gives me a good idea of how seriously the translator has worked to create a sense of Africa for a foreign audience. The most elegant translations have been in the Italian edition, which described Ada's simple doek (a headscarf) as a foulard o pezzo di stoffa da legare attorno alla testa.

I look forward to receiving my copy of Schwarze Tochter and seeing if it manages to top that!

In the meantime, spread the word to your German friends...
Viel Gluck!

No comments:

Post a Comment