Tuesday 18 June 2013

The Housemaid's Daughter in Canada


I have just returned from a wonderful visit to Canada, where I had a busy schedule promoting The Housemaid's Daughter. You may remember that a year ago I met booksellers in Vancouver, this time it was Toronto's turn.

My Canadian publishers and distributers have been highly enthusiastic about the book, and it was a real pleasure to meet so many of them, see pic above at the Indigo headquarters. I signed copies in Ben McNally Books, a beautiful independent bookshop in downtown Toronto, and then moved on to two impressive Indigo bookshops, one of which had a grand piano to display the books to their best effect - and highlight the role of music in the novel. Later that day, I did a talk at the Beaches branch of the Toronto Public Library.

I had been expecting heat in Toronto because on previous trips the weather had been extremely warm. I therefore dressed for bright, hot sunshine but instead it turned out to be very like what I'd left behind in the UK: cool and showery. Out came the brolly!

My trip reconfirmed what a small, inter-connected world we live in: I met a lady who not only grew up in the Eastern Cape as I did, but also attended the same school! Indeed, everywhere I go I encounter South Africans who have made new lives abroad, and yet never manage to uproot themselves entirely. There's something about Africa that captures you forever; something about that combination of heat, light, vibrancy, and the unexpected... which is hard to find anywhere else. I worked hard in the book to invoke the spell that Africa casts, and so I was delighted to hear from several Canadian readers that, even though they had never been to the continent, they could feel the heat of the Karoo through my descriptions...


No comments:

Post a Comment