Wednesday 7 November 2018

Let's help each other...


All round the world, volunteers from many walks of life do heroic work in uplifting individuals and communities. I recently had the privilege of speaking about my book, The Girl from Simon's Bay, to a branch of Soroptimists International. Their focus is on defending human rights and helping girls, in particular, to reach their potential and have an equal voice in their communities. They have 75000 members across 122 countries. Like Rotary, the Lions, and myriad tinier outfits, they do what we should all strive for: to put others before ourselves. Whether it's encouraging human rights, fighting disease, installing water stand pipes, encouraging girls to study science, or painting classroom walls, all these enterprises and their members take practical steps to help others.

As I was speaking, I was reminded of the plight of Louise Ahrendts, my heroine in the book. She grows up in South Africa at a time when girls of her background rarely had opportunities to study further. Louise, though, wants to complete her schooling and become a nurse. She is also mixed race, and knows she's unlikely to be accepted at a prestigious training institution.

Dear Matron, she writes
I am fourteen years old and I live in Simon's Town with my parents. Since I was seven, I have dreamt of becoming a nurse. I want to dedicate my life to the sick and to those who can't take care of themselves. It would be an honour to be allowed to apply for training.
How much money will it cost to become a nurse?
I can't ask my parents to pay for my career so I will work after school for the next four years to save enough to pay for myself.
With sincere gratitude for your earnest attention
I remain
Yours faithfully.
Louise Ahrendts (Miss)

Despite being initially rejected, Louise perseveres.
And eventually...

Dear Miss Ahrendts
We have pleasure in offering you a place to train at the Hospital, subject to a probation period of three months. You will be our first coloured student nurse and we must stress the need for focus and dedication. Failure to achieve the required standards at any time during your training will result in dismissal.

"They want me!" I threw the single piece of paper in the air and burst into tears.
"They want me after all!"

No comments:

Post a Comment