Wednesday 9 January 2019

A romantic dilemma for the New Year!


In my last blog I talked about the slippery character of Piet Philander, desperate suitor to Louise Ahrendts in my novel, The Girl from Simon's Bay. Piet, you may remember, hatches a scheme to defraud the Royal Navy during the war. At the same time, Louise meets a Royal Navy officer, Lt. David Horrocks, who is a patient at her hospital, and embarks on a risky romance.

Piet happens to be in Cape Town one day and spots the two of them. Louise is carrying an overnight suitcase and Piet follows them to a cottage and realises that Louise plans to spend the night there with her navy lover.

Piet is hauled before the authorities who've discovered he's been selling fish that the navy has paid for, to outside buyers. During a confrontation with the Quartermaster, Piet threatens to tell the Admiral that one of his officers is sleeping with a nurse from the Royal Naval Hospital. This is a serious claim and potentially very damaging to both Louise and David.

"It has come to my knowledge, Sister Ahrendts, that you have formed an attachment with a patient."
Louise breathed deeply.
To lie, or tell the truth?
"I have only ever been professional, Matron. I have not encouraged familiar behaviour when I've been on duty."
"And off duty?" Matron's voice softened. "Surely you must know, Sister, that any understanding between yourself and a white man, while not strictly against the law, is certainly frowned upon?"
Louise kept quiet, but did not drop her gaze.
Matron looked down at her desk and appeared to come to a decision.
"I don't listen to hearsay about my staff," she closed the file with a snap. "But if I am offered proof, I will have no choice but to dismiss you."

Our secret has been discovered, Louise writes to David.
We can't be together.
But how will I stay away from you?

More next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment