Tuesday 18 May 2021

A Shaded Meeting


In the centre of Cape Town, overlooked by Table Mountain, and flanked by the Houses of Parliament, The South African Museum and the National Library, lies the historic Company's Garden.
Started in the 1650s to supply fresh fruit and vegetables to visiting sailing ships, the Garden now covers some 8 acres, bisected by a central avenue. While it no longer supplies passing ships, it lives on as the green lung of the city and a place for strolling and reflection. The original plantings have been joined by rose, Japanese, succulent and herb gardens; plus trees from near and far, like this mighty cedar I spotted on a recent visit.  



When I was writing The Girl from Simon's Bay, I needed to find a place where my hero and heroine could meet, away from familiar or prying eyes, before potentially spending the weekend together. The Company's Garden seemed the ideal candidate: it lies over an hour away from Simon's Town by train and, with its towering shade trees and secluded benches, was surely the perfect place for a discreet meeting. After all, nothing has been decided yet. Louise has brought an overnight suitcase but is nervous. As he waits for her, David wonders whether she will make the trip from Simon's Town at all. He refuses to see the colour difference between them, but she knows its significance, and the risk she is taking... 

I hurried along Adderley Street, keeping my face down. 
He was waiting for me on a bench in the Garden, beneath a line of trees. 
I glanced around. There was no-one about. 
"Louise!" He leapt up. 
We didn't embrace. We could never embrace in public. 
He glanced down at my suitcase. I felt myself flush.
"Thank you," he said, picking up the case. "Thank you."  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment