Wednesday 6 March 2013

A Cape Town Book Launch



I have been busy promoting The Housemaid's Daughter in South Africa.

On Wednesday of last week, fresh from my Johannesburg launches, I was at the Book Lounge in central Cape Town beneath the ramparts of Table Mountain, to be "in conversation with" Beverley Roos-Muller. Beverley is an academic, a journalist and a writer and I was most grateful that she took time out from her own work to chat to me about the book in front of our audience.

It was a fascinating discussion, ranging from the inspiration for the book to the challenge of creating a saga that stretches across four generations, a world war, and sixty years of turbulent SA history. By the way, if you don't know what - and who - inspired me to write the book, do visit my website barbaramutch.com and you'll be able to read about the background.
Talking of grounds, below ground is where we were: Mervyn Sloman's Book Lounge has a subterrainean space which is the perfect setting for a glass of wine, some nibbles and a keen conversation about books.

The Book lounge event brought to an end my whirlwind SA promotion of the book, along with my local distributers, Jonathan Ball. It has been a privilege for me to meet so many readers who have enjoyed the book, and who have recommnded it to friends across the globe. Thank you!

Although I will be returning to the UK, the book will be receiving a further boost in South Africa with the upcoming publication of an interview in the Business Day, and a review in the Cape Argus and the Sunday Times. Also, keep an ear open for Reading Matters on Radio Today with Sue Grant Marshall, and the upcoming review on Jenny Crys Williams book show on Radio 702.

Next time we leap into cyberspace...

2 comments:

  1. This is so exciting seeing your book going far and wide. What an exquisite story. I have read it a few times and continue to give it as a gift to family and friends.
    Voorspoed, Barbara. And well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicola! Keep spreading the word! Kind regards Barbara

    ReplyDelete