Monday 20 May 2024

Vital Statistics!


There's something special about a physical book! 
I know that many of us (me included) tend to read on our iPads or Kindle devices, but I still get a thrill when I have a book in my hands. That feeling of turning the pages - occasionally folding down the corners to reserve one's place - and settling in for a read, is hard to beat... 


And this is the first batch of The Case Against Fili Du Bois to have landed on my doorstep. I will be taking them to Talks and Presentations here in the UK. A signed copy also still seems to have a cachet of its own!  

Here are some vital statistics: I can confirm that the physical book is 428 pages long, weighs in at a satisfying 570g,and consists of 59 chapters. So... approximately 10g per chapter. Not sure if this is a measure that publishers look at (!), but I thought it worth mentioning if only for amusement. Having said that, I do tend to mix longer chapters with shorter ones so as to keep my reader engaged and not too worn out. 

Notable highlights in the research phase were an education in the wine-making process and the necessary tastings that were required, plus delightful rambles through the vines to develop an understanding of terroir, that particular combination of soil, climate, and geography that leads to an outstanding wine.

"This special dirt," said Grand-mère, scooping up some earth and rolling it between her gnarled fingers, "will decide which cultivars we plant, whether we make a sauvignon blanc or a merlot that glows in the glass like a sunset. 
This, chérie, is the starting point. The essence of what will come after..."        

  

No comments:

Post a Comment