Friday 23 August 2024

Unexpected sighting


Twelve years ago, my first novel, The Housemaid's Daughter, was published in English world-wide, and was subsequently translated into 14 languages from Icelandic to Spanish to Chinese! I was an unknown author at that stage, and had no idea how the book would be received. Luckily, it struck a chord with readers far and wide, and its success spurred me to keep writing. Since that time, I have produced 3 other novels.

Yet Housemaid still gathers many new readers despite its advancing years. Somehow the story of Ada, the young black girl in service to an Irish immigrant family during the apartheid years, continues to appeal. 


I have a particular musical connection to Ada because I created her to be a pianist. And whenever I happen to play her signature piece from the book, Chopin's Raindrop Prelude, I think of her. I play the piece for pleasure but the stakes were higher for Ada: she plays it as an "audition" in front of a potential employer. She needs a job, she's expecting a child, she's desperate for the chance of an independent future...    


Recently, I was delighted to find that The Housemaid's Daughter appears on a list of books about South Africa. And, to my surprise, it held its own amid a clutch of impressive titles. Have a look! 
https://voyageprovocateur.com/destinations/africa/10-best-books-on-south-africa/   


No comments:

Post a Comment