Wednesday 18 September 2024

What happens after the story ends?


When talking about my novels at signings or events, I've often been asked if I will write a sequel to a particular book. After all, how could I leave Ada's beloved grandson, Thebo, without mapping out his future? And what about Louise's son, Sam, who might return to South Africa from abroad once apartheid ends? And will Hamish, Frances's son in The Fire Portrait, ever get to meet his biological father? And would that destroy the cherished memories he holds of Julian, whom he believed was his parent? 

In The Case Against Fili Du Bois, the character whom readers often want to follow further is not necessarily the heroine Fili, whose future finally seems assured, but Kula Mfusi, the troubled young man who flees Du Bois Vineyards after being suspected of murder. How does he evade the police? Does he leave the country? Or change his name? And would new medical advances prove that he could not have harmed the victim? Or might he confess that he was, in fact, guilty? 

I have my own confession to make: I like a little uncertainty! While I try to gather the narrative strands into a satisfying ending, I also like to leave some aspects of the story unresolved. I dangle a little thread in the air and leave it hanging, allowing you, the reader, to reflect on the possibilities in your own mind... 
Sometimes, in a crowd, I find myself looking for Kula Mfusi.
The fierce eyes. The unnerving stillness.
But I never saw him again. Or heard from him.
Yet years later, on the anniversary of Mum's death, there were different flowers on her grave from the roses we traditionally brought... 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment